See all news

Nominations now being accepted for Associate Dean for Medical Student Education position

Dear Colleagues,

Nominations are now being accepted for the position of Associate Dean for Medical Student Education.  This important position has enormous impact on our Medical School and its MD program. This is an exciting time in the life of the School, as we will be revising and updating our curriculum in the coming years; the new Associate Dean will play a critical role in this process.

It is expected that the Associate Dean for Medical Student Education will devote 80% effort to decanal functions and responsibilities; for the remaining 20% effort, the faculty member will be supported by their primary clinical/or pre-clinical department to pursue teaching, research, and/or clinical care.

The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, enjoy working with students and teaching faculty, and have a passion for medical education.  The skills involved in running a residency or fellowship program are transferable to this position, particularly in relation to program accreditation, as the School always has an eye towards new accreditation requirements and related issues.

The responsibilities of the Associate Dean involve oversight of all aspects of the medical student curriculum.  Please see the attached job description for more details.

The position is most recently held by Dr. Michael Awad, who has decided to return to full-time Surgery to pursue several exciting new opportunities.  I am grateful to Dr. Awad for his work the past four years as associate dean for medical student education.  We will miss him and wish him well in his new endeavors.

Interested faculty members should send a letter of interest and a current CV to Mark Prosperi, preferably via email at:  prosperim@wustl.edu  or to Campus Box 1178, at your earliest opportunity.   Questions may be directed either to me or to Mark.

Please disseminate this internal call for nominations widely within the School.

Sincerely,

Mary

Mary E. Klingensmith, MD, FACS
Interim Senior Associate Dean for Education, Office of Education
Mary Culver Distinguished Professor of Surgery
Washington University School of Medicine
660 South Euclid, Campus Box 8073
Saint Louis, MO 63110
Office: 314-362-7800
klingensmithm@wustl.edu

Posting for Associate Dean for Medical Student Education (pdf)

Categories: Uncategorized